Sunday, April 5, 2009

Waiting...

Yes, I am still pregnant. No, the baby has not come out yet. And, No, I have no idea when she might decide to do so. Yes, we will definitely let you know when she arrives- either by calling ourselves, asking one of our parents to call, emailing, or even facebook. We promise.

We had a biophysical scan and nonstress test on Friday to see how Lydia is doing... and she's great! Very active and cooperative during the biophysical (ultrasound test where they check for movements, breathing, etc.), she passed with flying colors again! They also check the amniotic fluid... if it had been close to 5 units (not sure what unit they use for measuring it), we would be talking induction by now. BUT, the fluid measured 19!!! So, in me she stays. After getting to see our beautiful girl, we trekked up to the maternity floor to have the nonstress test. They hooked me up to the monitor, gave me my instructions- push the button every time I feel her move, and left. FOR 2 HOURS!!! No one - not a single nurse from the wing - came back to check on us. FOR 2 HOURS!!! During which time I was having contraction every 5 minutes. FOR 2 HOURS!!! Daddy and I had good discussion, found a sudoku game on his cell phone, chatted by phone with our friend Devon (also our birth coach), and wished Lent was over so we could pass the time watching something on tv... not that anything would have been on- except Law & Order... that show seems to be on 24/7! Eventually I sent Daddy to get a nurse because I needed a restroom break and it had been 2 HOURS!!! since the last time we had seen a nurse. When the nurse finally came in, she wanted to know if I wanted to stay since I was having consistent contractions... I said NO! Unfortunately, although the contractions were very consistent, most of them were not very strong, and the timing and instensity of them had not increased in 2 HOURS!!! so I figured we could spend time laboring at home... where I would not be forgotten or neglected by a nursing staff for 2 HOURS!!! The contractions continued throughout the day, including during dinner, which my wonderful mother-in-law provided. We even sent our darling daughters home to spend the night with their grandparents so we could go back to the hospital when the time came... and then the contractions stopped. Altogether. There were no more. And, there have been no more since. (Oh, maybe an odd one here or there, but nothing like the consistent 5 minute apart ones I had for 10+ hours.)

SO, we continue to wait...

And, even though we have been here before...

it doesn't make the waiting easier.

And, even though I've said April 7 all through the pregnancy...

having consistent contractions (albeit a little weak in force) made me think it might be time.

And, even though all of our children have been at least 6 days past their due dates...

we were still hoping that maybe this girl might come out a little earlier than her sisters.

And yet, we wait...



That said, I'm trying to keep busy and distracted... but this huge basketball under my shirt often hinders my activities. We did end up getting those basement rafters vacuumed and the kitchen cabinets washed! And, we even managed to tackle scrubbing and rearranging the refrigerator. I ironed some of my dear husband's shirts (good thing, considering he's still going to school this upcoming week. It's better than sitting at home asking me if I'm having any contractions every 10 minutes.), cleaned off my dresser, organized my sock drawer, and fixed the bassinet. The preparations have been made, now we are just waiting for dear Lydia to arrive.

1 comment:

groovyoldlady said...

Ok mama...It's April 20th and there IS a baby to report on.