Friday, September 25, 2009

Weekly Wrap-Up

Kris at weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers hosts a weekly wrap-up for homeschoolers, and this week I'm finally ready to participate!

We're working on settling into our schooling routine this year, but still haven't quite found our "groove" yet. With my recent return to my evening job and continued dedication to breastfeeding Lydia, the routine varies from day to day. But, the girls are still learning and exploring, so I'm confident a routine will work itself out soon... even if it happens to be not so routine!

Grace renewed her interest in Phonics work since I've adjusted my plans for her. I had her skip the first half of her book, as it was a lengthy review of the phonics work we did last year, and she happily works on her assigned pages once again. I have noticed when she's reading the words to match with the pictures in the workbook that she will look for the word that starts with the right first letter and read that word first. Sometimes I must remind her to finish reading the word so that she chooses the correct one! Usually I'll ask her why she knows that word is the right one- for example, "How do you know that word is bed?" "Because it starts with a 'b', Momma. Then a 'e' and a 'd'!" She amazes me everyday!

Ella has been doing so well as we work our way through the alphabet! We worked on letter "C" this week, with the verse "Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord." Col. 3:20. She continues to be able to recite our A and B verses, as well as picking up Grace's creation verse (Gen 1:1)! Her newest thing has been to purposely say the wrong number for the verse or chapter! She'll recite the verse properly and then look at me with that little glint in her eye and a little smirk on her face while she tells me whatever number she wants... she is such a little sillyhead!

We had a lovely playdate at the park with another homeschooling family on Monday. We discovered the paved trail that runs along the stream by the park and had a wonderful walk! The girls had a great time tossing pebbles into the stream, counting ducks along the bank, and even discovering 5 turtles sunning themselves on the other side of the stream! Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera along... maybe next time!

I did have my camera handy to capture some of the nature exploration we did at home, though! The girls found several caterpillars in our backyard and spent the better part of the afternoon collecting, watching, and feeding them! Grace named them all Fred and declared they were all friends!

Trying to count all their little legs! (I need to find some little magnifying glasses!)


Ella really loved watching the caterpillars.


REALLY loved them!

3 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

Oh we love caterpillars too. We do! We do!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining the Wrap-Up this week! I love the photos of your time outdoors...and that Bible verse is one of my favorites for the kids to memorize. ;-)

MBC Scrapbooking said...

Just ran across your blog! It's really intresting to read your wrap-up; homeschooling is a new thing to me (my kids are still young, and I don't know anyone IRL who homeschools) so it's neat to read about it on blogs like yours:) Thanks:)