
Lydia at 3 Months
Height: 23 inches
Head Circumference: 15 inches
Weight: 9 lbs. 7and 3/4 oz.
Tuesday Lydia and I headed to the pediatrician's for a weight check. At her 2 month well baby visit she had crossed several percentages, and was tracking at 25% for most of her measurements. Dr. D, her pediatrician, was not overly concerned because both of Lydia's sisters had fallen into a similiar growth pattern, but at 6 months (Grace) or 4 months (Ella), not 2 months. He was most concerned about her head circumference. So, Dr. D asked us to come back this month just to keep an eye on her growth. Unfortunately, the results are less than desirable. While she did increase in her height and head circumference measurements, her weight decreased. I was shocked to see the scale, as she had been just over 10 lbs. last month!
Dr. D ruled out malabsorption and "failure to thrive" and concluded that we needed to add more calories to Lydia's diet. To do that, he decreed that I must start her on formula, at least 10-15 oz. per day. This was incredibly upsetting to me, as a solely breastfeeding momma. Our beloved pediatrician, who has been part of our lives since Day 1 of each of our girls' lives tried to make me feel better about the situation by reminding me that lots of children do "just fine" on formula, and "at least it's not 100 years ago, when we'd have to find a wet nurse for you." Seriously.
He did also acknowledge that I was upset. (DUH!) And I still think he's a great pediatrician. Just maybe not so breastfeeding friendly when he's concerned about his patient's growth.
Dr. D recommended continuing to breastfeed for about half of Lydia's feedings, and to supplement with formula by skipping an at the breast meal and giving her a bottle instead. I am concerned that my milk supply is low- and that skipping feedings will make it even worse. Since the 2 month check up I've tried adding another feeding, but Lydia just fusses and cries and ends up turning away and falling asleep. She's very determined not to eat when she doesn't want to!
So, after this
2 comments:
I think I found your blog through the Mckmama community. I have 3 little girls with similar names as yours! I have an Ella (5yrs) although it's her nickname, a Gracie (2yrs)--Grace is her middle name and an "L" name--Lily, who is 6 months. Just started fenugreek today too as I'm not pumping enough the 3 days a week I work and my LO is waking 2x a night making me wonder if she's not getting enough during the day. *waving hello*
Oh sweetie I know you must be so dissappointed! The same thing happened to one of my dear friends. She did still have to supplement with formula but she was able to supplement less than the doctor originally thought she would have to by taking Fenugreek and Omega-3's. The Fenugreek upped the milk supply and the Omega-3 supplement made her milk more creamy. **HUGS** I hope you are still able to breastfeed some despite the supplementing!
Post a Comment